- [noun] noisy talk
Synonyms: yak, yack, yakety-yak, cackle
- [noun] the rapid series of noises made by the parts of a machine
- [noun] the high-pitched continuing noise made by animals (birds or monkeys)
- [verb] click repeatedly or uncontrollably; "Chattering teeth"
- [verb] cut unevenly with a chattering tool
- [verb] talk socially without exchanging too much information; "the men were sitting in the cafe and shooting the breeze"
Synonyms: chew the fat, shoot the breeze, chat, confabulate, confab, chitchat, chaffer, natter, gossip, jaw, claver, visit
- [verb] speak (about unimportant matters) rapidly and incessantly
Synonyms: piffle, palaver, prate, tittle-tattle, twaddle, clack, maunder, prattle, blab, gibber, tattle, blabber, gabble
- [verb] make noise as if chattering away; "The magpies were chattering in the trees"
shmooze, shmoose, schmooze, schmoose, jawbone
babble, blather, smatter, blether, blither
prate, prattle, idle talk, blether, chin music