- [verb] smother or suppress; "Stifle your curiosity"
- [verb] make moist; "The dew moistened the meadows"
Synonyms: moisten, wash
- [verb] deaden (a sound or noise), especially by wrapping
Synonyms: muffle, mute, dull, damp, tone down
- [verb] reduce the amplitude (of oscillations or waves)
- [verb] make vague or obscure or make (an image) less visible; "muffle the message"
Synonyms: deaden, damp
- [verb] check; keep in check (a fire)
- [verb] lessen in force or effect; "soften a shock"; "break a fall"
Synonyms: damp, soften, weaken, break