- [noun] a discussion in which reasons are advanced for and against some proposition or proposal; "the argument over foreign aid goes on and on"
Synonyms: argument, argumentation
- [noun] the formal presentation of and opposition to a stated proposition (usually followed by a vote)
Synonyms: disputation, public
- [verb] argue with one another; "We debated the question of abortion"; "John debated Mary"
- [verb] think about carefully; weigh; "They considered the possibility of a strike"; "Turn the proposal over in your mind"
Synonyms: consider, moot, turn over, deliberate
- [verb] discuss the pros and cons of an issue
- [verb] have an argument about something
Synonyms: argue, contend, fence