- [verb] regard something as probable or likely; "The meteorologists are expecting rain for tomorrow"
- [verb] consider obligatory; request and expect; "We require our secretary to be on time"; "Aren't we asking too much of these children?"; "I expect my students to arrive in time for their lessons"
Synonyms: ask, require
- [verb] look forward to the probable occurrence of; "We were expecting a visit from our relatives"; "She is looking to a promotion"; "he is waiting to be drafted"
Synonyms: look, await, wait
- [verb] consider reasonable or due; "I'm expecting a full explanation as to why these files were destroyed"
- [verb] be pregnant with; "She is bearing his child"; "The are expecting another child in January"; "I am carrying his child"
Synonyms: have a bun in the oven, bear, carry, gestate
- [verb] look forward to the birth of a child; "She is expecting in March"
- think, opine, suppose, imagine, reckon, guess
- assume, presume, take for granted
- speculate, theorize, theorise, conjecture, hypothesize, hypothesise, hypothecate, suppose
- believe, trust
- look forward
- look to
- hang on, hold the line, hold on
- anticipate, look for, look to