- [verb] fall backwards and down
- [verb] hang (back) or fall (behind) in movement, progress, development, etc.
Synonyms: lag, dawdle, fall behind
- [verb] move back and away from; "The enemy fell back"
Synonyms: recede, retire
- [verb] retreat
Synonyms: lose, drop off, fall behind, recede
- [verb] have recourse to; "The government resorted to rationing meat"
Synonyms: resort, recur
- [verb] go back to bad behavior; "Those who recidivate are often minor criminals"
Synonyms: relapse, lapse, recidivate, regress, retrogress