- [noun] a frame of iron bars to hold a fire
- [noun] a harsh rasping sound made by scraping something
- [noun] a barrier that has parallel or crossed bars blocking a passage but admitting air
- [verb] furnish with a grate; "a grated fireplace"
- [verb] gnaw into; make resentful or angry; "The unjustice rankled her"; "his resentment festered"
Synonyms: eat into, fret, rankle
- [verb] reduce to small shreds or pulverize by rubbing against a rough or sharp perforated surface; "grate carrots and onions"; "grate nutmeg"
- [verb] make a grating or grinding sound by rubbing together; "grate one's teeth in anger"
- [verb] scratch repeatedly; "The cat scraped at the armchair"