- [noun] soreness and warmth caused by friction; "he had a nasty chafe on his knee"
- [noun] anger produced by some annoying irritation
Synonyms: annoyance, vexation
- [verb] become or make sore by or as if by rubbing
Synonyms: gall, fret
- [verb] feel extreme irritation or anger; "He was chafing at her suggestion that he stay at home while she went on a vacation"
- [verb] cause annoyance in; disturb, especially by minor irritations; "Mosquitoes buzzing in my ear really bothers me"; "It irritates me that she never closes the door after she leaves"
Synonyms: annoy, rag, get to, bother, get at, irritate, rile, nark, nettle, gravel, vex, devil
- [verb] tear or wear off the skin or make sore by abrading; "This leash chafes the dog's neck"
- [verb] cause friction; "my sweater scratches"
Synonyms: rub, fray, fret, scratch
- [verb] warm by rubbing, as with the hands
get, get under one's skin
eat into, fret, rankle, grate
harass, hassle, harry, chivy, chivvy, chevy, chevvy, beset, plague, molest, provoke
pique, temper, irritation